LAB Jumpstart Nominations are now CLOSED for the 2019-2020 school year!
In the meantime, we recommend checking out https://www.studentresearchnyc.org/ for several other High School student research programs around New York City!
LAB Jumpstart Quick Look
- Combined after-school and summer research experience
- March 3rd-August 6th, 2020
- For high school students age 16 and older
- Nominations open Monday, October 14th, 2019 and close at 5pm EST on Friday, December 20th, 2019
- Applications open upon nomination and close at midnight EST on Monday, January 6th, 2020
LAB Jumpstart supports up to 20 NYC high school students in a combined after-school and summer science research experience. Intended for highly-motivated students with an interest in science from low-resourced school communities, this program aims to ‘jumpstart’ the development of research skills and provide exposure to laboratory culture.
The spring after-school sessions (March 3rd-June 18th) provide initial small-group training to students, starting with fundamental laboratory skills and practices, progressing into technical tools and research skills relevant to current laboratory research being conducted at The Rockefeller University. This instruction is facilitated by dedicated scientists and educators, as well as several guest scientist contributors. After-school sessions meet Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:30pm-7:00pm. Dinner is served at the start of each session.
The summer full-time immersive research experience (June 22nd-August 6th) centers around a 7-week laboratory placement where participants are given the opportunity to conduct an independent research project under the close mentorship of trained Rockefeller scientists. This occurs in conjunction with the highly-selective Summer Science Research Program (SSRP). The summer sessions meet Monday-Friday, from approximately 9am-5pm.
To be eligible for participation in LAB Jumpstart, students must be enrolled in a high school, be nominated by a teacher or community leader, and must be at least 16 years old by the start of the program. We are unable to make any exceptions to the minimum age requirement.
The LAB Jumpstart application process consists of several steps:
- Step 1: Students who are interested in applying for LAB Jumpstart must be nominated by a teacher or community leader. Once students are successfully nominated, they will be sent a link to the LAB Jumpstart application via email.
- Step 2: Students who are nominated may fill out the online application sent to them via email. Applications for the LAB Jumpstart program are reviewed by RockEDU staff and members of the Rockefeller graduate student community
- Step 3: Applicants will be selected for an in-person interview, which will take place in late January or early February. During the interview, students will meet with the LAB Jumpstart facilitators and be introduced to members of the RockEDU team. Students will be notified in February if they are accepted to LAB Jumpstart.
Students accepted into the LAB Jumpstart program must commit to participating in the entirety of the program. This includes both the spring after school and full-time summer portions of the program. We cannot accommodate part-time participation.
Please note that LAB Jumpstart participants are prohibited from using any and all aspects of their LAB Jumpstart projects for submission to any and all science fair competitions.