LAB Jumpstart—formerly the LAB After-School Program (LAB ASP)— supports 16 NYC high school students in a combined after-school and summer science research experience. Serving students from underserved communities, this program aims to ‘jumpstart’ the development of research skills and exposure to laboratory culture. This occurs through initial small-group training, followed by an immersive mentored research experience in a Rockefeller laboratory. To accomplish all of this, LAB Jumpstart spans March through August.
The spring after-school sessions (March – June) provide initial small-group training to students, starting with fundamental laboratory skills and practices, progressing into technical tools and research skills that the students will use in their mentored laboratory research. This instruction is facilitated by dedicated scientists and educators, as well as several guest scientist contributors.
The summer full-time immersive research experience (June – August) centers around a 7-week laboratory placement where participants are given the opportunity to conduct an independent research project under close mentorship of trained Rockefeller scientists. This occurs in conjunction with the highly-selective Summer Science Research Program (SSRP).
Nominations have ENDED.
Students must be nominated in order to apply. Once a nomination is submitted, the student will receive a link to begin their application.
Nomination Deadline: December 3rd 11:59 PM
Application Deadline: December 22, 2017 at 11:59pm
LAB Jumpstart At-A-Glance:
Spring After-School Sessions
Date Range: March 6 – June 21, 2018 (excludes spring recess week, April 2- 6, 2018)
Days & Times: Every Tuesday and Thursday, 4:30pm – 7:00pm
Location: RockEDU Outreach Laboratory at The Rockefeller University
Theme: Fermentation at the Bench
Summer Full-time Research Experience
Date Range: June 25, 2018 – August 9, 2018
Days & Times: Monday through Friday, full days
Location: Various labs throughout The Rockefeller University
Students must be nominated by a teacher or community leader in order to apply. Immediately following the successful submission of a nomination, the student will be sent a link to submit their LAB Jumpstart application.
All applications will be considered. Students who demonstrate strong academic potential and a passion for science will be invited for an interview on The Rockefeller University campus. Applicants can expect to learn of the decision by February 2018.
Nomination Criteria and Eligibility
The goal of LAB Jumpstart is to provide the opportunity, training, and community support needed for students from underserved communities to conduct authentic scientific research at one of the top biomedical research institutions in the world. We specifically seek students who have not yet had exposure to scientific research.
When considering students for LAB Jumpstart nomination, please select students who:
- Have shown a keen and authentic interest in science
- Demonstrate good work ethic, commitment, and follow through
- Would benefit from mentorship and a close knit peer-peer community
- Represent individuals from underserved or underrepresented communities
- Live and attend school in New York City
When submitting nominations please keep in mind that:
- Nominated students must complete their application in order to be considered for entry into the program – please help students follow through with their applications following nomination
- We accept a maximum of 4 students per school – please nominate those that best fit the criteria
- Accepted students must participate in the entire program: March 6 through August 9, 2018. We cannot make exceptions.
- Accepted students may not compete in science fair competitions using research performed through the program
Are you a student interested in LAB Jumpstart? Please keep in mind:
- There is no minimum GPA to apply
- Students must be 16 years old by the start of the program (March 6, 2018).
- You must first be nominated by a teacher or community leader before you can begin your application
- You must be available to participate for the entire duration of the program March 6 – August 9, 2018
- You must live and attend school in New York City
- You must have a demonstrated interest or excitement for science (you don’t need to be a science fair winner and you don’t need prior research experience)
For more information of the application process please visit our Jumpstart FAQ.
Students participating in LAB Jumpstart will have multiple opportunities to discuss long-term career goals in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). In addition to research, Jumpstart scientist mentors will be available to answer questions about college applications, college majors, and college readiness.
All students who are admitted into LAB Jumpstart will receive a stipend for their participation in the spring, and will be provided with dinner at the start of each after school session. Students will also receive a generous stipend for their participation in the summer portion of the program. Monthly metrocards are provided to Jumpstart students throughout the duration of the program.
Previous Jumpstart Projects
- The Chemicals in Food
- Microbiome of Food
- Assessing the Microbial Signature of Library Books