Summer Neuroscience Program (SNP)
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the program take place?
- SNP takes place during the last two weeks of August, meeting on weekdays from 9:30am to 4:00pm (please see the main page or nominations page for specific dates).
Who is eligible to participate in SNP?
- Students must be enrolled in a New York City public high school, and must be at least 16 years old on the first day of the program—we cannot make exceptions!
When is the nomination form posted?
- Each year, the nomination form is posted by February. Nominations are due April 15.
Where is the Rockefeller University?
- Rockefeller University is located in the Upper East Side of Manhattan, at 66 Street and York Avenue (see Map).
What does a typical day at SNP look like?
- A typical day will consist of morning class sessions, lunch, and afternoon hands-on activities. For more detail, check out the sample schedule (PDF).
Is there homework? Are there tests?
- No homework, no tests, no grades! However, expect to be challenged. While in class, students will read research articles, conduct experiments, and prepare presentations. All work will be done during course hours, and punctuality and attendance is required.
Does the program cost any money?
- SNP is free! All expenses are covered, including MTA fare, meals, and school supplies throughout the program.
What kinds of students participate in SNP?
- All kinds of students participate in SNP! We seek motivated, mature, and inquisitive students, irrespective of previous scholastic achievement or interest level in science. We're not necessarily looking for "straight A" students; we're looking for distinctive, curious students—whether they're shy or outgoing.
Are there any minimum GPA or curriculum requirements?
- There are no requirements for GPA or curriculum. The only requirements are that students must be responsible, respectful, motivated, and curious.
Can I nominate myself if I'm a student?
- Students must be nominated by a teacher, guidance counselor, or mentor. Interested students often approach teachers and mentors to ask for a nomination. Please don't hesitate to contact us at email@example.com with any concerns.
Once nominated, when can I expect to hear from SNP directors regarding interviews and placement in the program?
- Nominated students can expect to hear about interviews by May 1. Students will be contacted by e-mail or by phone. Interviewed students should expect to hear a final decision by May 15.